Friday, June 24, 2005

where is this place ?

The_Manor2.jpg (JPEG Image, 1822x1253 pixels) - Scaled (58%)

Can somebody please identify this majestic home.
My grandfather was a member of the NZ Forestry Group which stayed some time in England during 1941/1942.
My grandad says that when they arrived at this 'place' (see photograph) they were camped out in the stables. It was with great relief when one day the troops left the stables for the comfort of this grand stately home. I don't know what the NZ Forestry Group was doing or did in England. All I know was they were there. I believe the troop ship carried the group from Bombay India to Glasgow. My grandad had an old English map and he has marked with a cross places he stayed at. The places range from Carlisle to Torquay.
Does anyone recognise it?
answers to this board
RootsWeb Message Boards - Message [ General ]


Boards > Localities > United Kingdom and Ireland > England > Somerset > General
General
Messages posted to this board also appear in the "ENG-SOMERSET-L@rootsweb.com" mailing list.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home